Women still make up a small percentage of the STEM workforce across the globe, and it’s a similar picture for other male-dominated industries like business. Will the gender disparity in male-dominated industries ever change?
The answer seems to be yes – but gradually. In the UK, the number of women applying to engineering, computer science and medicine and dentistry since 2019 has increased by over 7 percent, 33 percent and 30 percent respectively.
Helping to speed up the process are various organisations offering scholarships for women preparing for careers in male-dominated industries. Often, the funding is accompanied by additional support, including mentorship and special events or workshops.
Below is a selection of global and region-specific scholarships for women in male-dominated industries, including scholarships for women in engineering, technology and in business.
Scholarships for women in engineering and science
- AOE National Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships for women in engineering or technical science-related programs at universities in the US. Application deadline is 1 April 2022.
- BHW Women in STEM Academic Scholarship – US scholarships for women pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a STEM subject. Applications open in January and are due on 15 April 2022.
- British Council scholarships for women in STEM – In partnership with 26 UK universities with the aim of benefiting women from the Americas, South Asia, South East Asia, Egypt, Turkey and Ukraine, these scholarships provide support for women in STEM who can demonstrate their need for financial support and who wish to inspire future generations of women. Application deadline is 10 April 2022.
- AIAA Lockheed Martin Marillyn Hewson Scholarship – US scholarships for women studying STEM subjects and demonstrating financial need. Awarded by the AIAA Foundation.
- L’Oréal India For Young Women in Science Scholarship – Awarded to female students within India to encourage and support young women to pursue their careers in science.
- Science Ambassador Scholarship – A full tuition scholarship for a woman in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics, funded by Cards Against Humanity. You don’t need to be a US citizen to apply. Applications for 2022 are closed but applications for the 2023 academic year open in fall.
- Southern Automotive Women’s Forum Scholarship – Scholarships for women in engineering and other STEM-related degree subjects, for students who wish to pursue careers in the automotive industry upon graduation. For citizens of states within the Southern US. Applicant deadline is 20 March 2022.
- SWE Scholarship Program– US scholarships for women in engineering from the Society of Women Engineers. Applications for sophomores and above are now closed for 2022 but freshman can still apply until 2 May 2022.
- Women’s Engineering Society Awards – Scholarships for women in engineering studying in the UK.
- Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS) Scholarships – Undergraduate and graduate scholarships for women pursuing careers in transportation. Applications close soon on 11 March 2022.
Scholarships for women in technology
- Anita.B funding for women in computing – AnitaB.org recognises the accomplishments of women in computing through a variety of awards and grants.
- Palantir Scholarships for Women in Technology – International scholarships for women in STEM subjects. The deadline to apply is 17 March 2022.
- VIP Women In Technology Scholarship (WITS) – For women wishing to study in the fields of IT, computer science, management information systems and related fields. Available to US citizens only. Application deadline is 31 March 2022.
Scholarships for women in business
- Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship – International scholarships for women in business wishing to study business management at undergraduate and master’s level.
- Wilmington Women in Business Fresh Start Scholarship – Scholarships for women in business, particularly aimed at professional women returning to education. For US citizens. Completed application must be submitted by 15 May 2022.
- Paybotic Women in Finance and Technology Scholarship – This scholarship seeks to boost prosperity and innovation by supporting female students and reducing gender gaps in leadership. The application deadline is 1 May 2022.
Other scholarships for women in male-dominated industries
- Laurels Fund Scholarships – Scholarships for women pursuing a PhD in accounting. Applications must be completed by 15 May 2022.
- Skills 4 UK Scholar’s Award – Open to female students entering the final year of university in the UK who are on track for a 2.1 or above. The winner receives a place on Skills 4 UK’s award-winning Career Development Programme.
You want to get more update from our team? you can indicate on the comment section and you will be added to our WhatsApp Group.